Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

I'm making yogurt again this morning.  I've been making my own off and on for the last couple of months and it is so easy....I don't know why you wouldn't make your own.  You can control what is in it rather than eat  something that you wouldn't ordinairly put in your body!  A lot of purchased yogurts have extra ingredients that I just don't want to eat, so....

You will need a 2 quart saucepan, 2 quart jars and some way to keep your yogurt warm for about 4 - 6 hours and 2 tbsp. of live culture yogurt...check on the container....it will say live culture yogure..  After you make your own, you'll not have to purchase it again....you'll have your own live culture.

Warm 2 quarts of milk (I use 2%) to 180 degrees.





Then set if off the burner and allow to cool to 115 degrees.     At this point, stir in 2 tbsp. of  live culture yogurt.  Maintain your yogurt now at 110 degrees for the next 4 - 6 hours. 


This can be done several ways: in your oven, on the very lowest setting, in a bath of warm water (to help the heat from varying too much)-and some people report being able to achieve 110°F with just the warm bath and the oven light on-or in a very well-insulated cooler.

Another method I tried this time was to use my slow cooker.  I put the jars in, added warm water to about half way up on the jars, and chose the “Keep Warm” setting.  After I had stirred in the starter yogurt, I poured the mixture in to two quart jars.  I monitored the temp for the next 4 hours and would sometimes have to turn the cooker off so as not to get too hot.




Pour hot water (115°F) into a cooler, put your jars of almost-yogurt in there, and shut the lid, checking every now and then that the internal temperature is still 110°F or so, and replace the warm water as necessary. No matter which method you choose, take care to keep the temperature as close to 110°F as possible.

Your yogurt is done when it's firmed up (though it'll come together a bit more as it cools). Once done, refrigerate your new yogurt and enjoy, ad nauseum. Stir in granola or oats and allow to sit a spell.   Add fresh fruit just before you eat it or, for maximum freshness, and rejoice that you'll never have to buy yogurt at the store again.

1 comment: